ANGELA Liati, the woman convicted of lying to protect the disgraced former judge Marcus Einfeld, is fighting her own speeding offence in court. And proving that she learnt something from the experience, she is using what has become known as “the Einfeld defence”. Liati was last month sentenced to 200 hours’ community service for lying to police about who was behind the wheel when Einfeld’s Lexus was caught by a speed camera in Mosman in 2006. The former Federal Court judge was jailed in March for telling a court that the driver was not him, but a dead American academic, Teresa Brennan, in an attempt to avoid paying the $77 fine.Liati is challenging a parking fine and at least one of two speeding fines on the basis that “I was not the driver” according to court documents. She faces a $231 fine after her car was caught by a speed camera on the Eastern Distributor and a $77 parking fine in Lavender Bay. Both offences occurred in 2006, the same year of Einfeld’s offence. Liati, a former partner of the late multi-millionaire car dealer Peter Warren, provided Einfeld with an alibi, saying she was in the passenger seat while Brennan was driving. But the story fell apart after another Einfeld friend, Vivian Schenker, said she was in the car and Einfeld was driving at the time of the offence. Asked who she had nominated as driving this time, Liati laughed, “no one who was dead at the time”.A BIG DAY FOR KING JUAN CARLOS AND QUEEN SOFIADuring the first day of a three-day state visit, the Spanish royals visited the Australian War Memorial and met Kevin Rudd, Malcolm Turnbull and Quentin Bryce. King Juan Carlos, who took the throne after the death of the dictator Francisco Franco in 1975, and Queen Sofia are due to open a Spanish cultural centre, the Instituto Cervantes, in Chippendale today. It is their first visit to Australia in two decades.CALLING CAPTAIN REES Nathan Rees has accepted an invitation to attend the 50th anniversary celebrations of his former school, Northmead High. The Premier (pictured here in his year 12 class photo) was Northmead’s school captain in 1985 and appeared in the school production of Oliver. More significantly, he met his future wife Stacey Haines there. The celebrations will feature a multimedia element including interviews with past students and a “virtual tour” of the school. Rees, who has visited the school several times since becoming Premier, has been invited to the dinner on September 5. A spokesman from his office said that “he’ll definitely mark the anniversary”.WESTACOTT IS GRILLEDCrows Nest steakhouse La Grillade has long been the favoured locale for send-off parties for the Channel Nine old guard. Newsreaders Ian Ross and Mike Munro were given send-offs at “the Grill” when departing for the sunny shores of rival network Seven and it’s the venue for tonight’s shindig for director of news and current affairs, John Westacott. “Westy” retires from his 25-year full-time career with the network next week but will be sticking around in a “consulting role” most likely for 60 Minutes. Tonight’s dinner – “to make sure he actually leaves” according to one Nine insider – will be attended by producers he worked with such as Sydney news director, Darren Wick, Tom Malone from the Today show, Grant Williams from A Current Affair and Hamish Thompson from 60 Minutes, along with national news director Mark Calvert, who has assumed the responsibilities of Westacott’s job.THAT’S ANZAC SPIRITThe Sydney marching band whose tartan-clad members had their cars ticketed on Anzac Day despite being part of the official proceedings have had their fines waived – but no thanks to Lord MayorClover Moore or the council rangers who issued them. The drum major of the Hills District Pipe Band, Neil Reid, appealed to both the NSW Government’s State Debt Recovery Office and the City of Sydney Council for a review. Reid told the Diary he received “a stupid letter from Clover Moore” on Monday stating that the fines would stand, only to be told within 24 hours by the recovery office that it would wipe six of the seven fines. A council spokesman said the whole incident was a case of “miscommunication” which “seems to be a one-off” and usually the free parking arrangements had worked well.GOT A TIP?Contact [email protected]南京夜網.au or 9282 2179.STAY IN TOUCHWITH GLASTONBURY MUSIC FESTIVALIN APRIL Paul McCartney headlined Coachella, one of the hippest music festivals in the US.Tomorrow the return of the golden oldies continues with Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, and Neil Young along with Crosby, Stills & Nash, Tom Jones and satirical rock group Spinal Tap on the bill for the four-day Glastonbury festival in Britain. The event is famous as much for its mud and gumboot wearing celebrities such as Kate Moss as it is for its trendy artist choices.While last year’s festival was turned over to performers favoured by the under-30’s set, with rapper Jay Z and US rock group Kings of Leon crowd favourites, this year the organisers – 73-year-old Michael Eavis and his 29-year-old daughter Emily – opted to step back in time.”We had a chance of two amazing legends and there’s no way we could turn one down just because we shouldn’t have them the same year,” Emily told the BBC this week of the choice to have both Springsteen and Young. “And we’re not going to turn them down because we’re ageist.”Meanwhile, Australian music veterans don’t miss out with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds performing on Sunday and for those who prefer a little less wrinkle with their rock, Melbourne teen songstress Gabriella Cilmi, pictured, returns to the festival, this time performing on the same stage as Young, albeit in a much earlier slot.WITH IRANIAN GATHERINGSSONG and dance is the last thing on the minds of Sydney’s Iranians. Organisers have postponed Dance Dance Dance, a concert to be held next month at North Sydney Leagues Club featuring three popular Iranian-Australian artists.The event was announced on April 8, long before the post-election unrest in Iran. One of the organisers , Mani Veiszadeh, editor of the magazine Oziran, told the Diary yesterday that the revamped event would probably be held in August.Instead of Dance Dance Dance, it will be called Iran Iran Iran, with all attendees invited to wear green in solidarity with the protesters in Iran, and it will feature patriotic songs.”It will still be a music event, but we won’t be playing upbeat dance tunes,” Veiszadeh said. “Right now, when we all know people who are dying or getting hurt, no one feels like having a party.”Artists involved in the event, Davood, Nassim and Anoush, were among the protesters in Hyde Park last weekend.WITH FAMILY DRAMAS: PART 2AS REPORTED yesterday, Jon and Kate Gosselin, the Pennsylvania couple who turned their lives as parents of twins and sextuplets into a top-rating US reality television series, Jon And Kate Plus Eight, are headed for splitsville. The US network TLC has confirmed they have postponed new episodes until August, putting the future of the lucrative series in question. The couple have become tabloid favourites in the US, with gossip magazines detailing alleged infidelity on the part of Jon, Kate’s shopping trips and scrutiny of their relationship and parenting methods. The couple confirmed they were separating in an episode that went to air on Monday, and which drew record ratings for the show.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.